Thursday, November 22, 2007

Good news! and an update

I have a job! :) I'm going to be a Library Assistant at Pflugerville Community Library in Pflugerville, Texas, a small city northeast of downtown Austin. I interviewed on Tuesday and was offered/accepted the job on Wednesday. According to the job description, I'll be shelving books, checking materials in and out, issuing library cards, answering phones, and helping computer users. It seems like a great work environment and I'm looking forward to getting started.

Been busy since the last post, as always. Last week was the first kickball victory I was present for (the other one happened at the only game I've missed). We beat the team that beat us 7-0 in our first game. Very satisfying. We've got two more games to go, so we could plausibly end the season at .500. I have faith.

I've been going to quite a few library-related things lately: a couple of things hosted by our career services office, a Romance Readers' Social, and a screening of The Hollywood Librarian, after which the director spoke with the audience. The documentary isn't, at present, commercially available, but I wish everyone I know would watch it because it captures much more eloquently than I've been able to why I want to be a librarian. Even after watching the segments on the battle to keep open the public libraries in Salinas, California, I felt confirmed in the desire to be a public librarian. It was a good feeling and a powerful documentary. And Ann Seidl, the director, is something else. She's fearless. It's inspirational, even if you don't necessarily agree with her.

Jennie was here. We went to San Antonio for the day on Sunday and did the Alamo, Market Square and the River Walk. She bought me a beautiful pashmina as an early Christmas gift. I'm wearing it right now, actually, because it's finally cold in Texas--it feels like Thanksgiving! :) Monday, she toured the Capitol while I was in class and then that night we had drinks on Sixth Street and went to Artz Rib House. Oh, and we took her to the Dog and Duck and Woodrow's while she was here. Good times.

Now the houseguests are gone and there are three weeks (and lots of homework) left of the semester. But first, Thanksgiving. Pat and I are going down to San Antonio to have dinner with some friends of mine from high school and their families. If I can pry him away from the Packers game, that is.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

No comments: